Will your emergency lights and other safety lighting work when you need them? It is absolutely critical that the emergency equipment and systems you have set in place work when you need them the most, in an emergency. However, even though emergency lights were installed when you constructed or purchased the building that houses your organization, they need to be inspected on an annual basis to ensure proper functioning.
Emergency lighting equipment provides light in corridors, stairwells, ramps, escalators, aisles and exit passageways during an emergency situation or power outage. If the lighting were to fail during an emergency, it would be extremely dangerous for that building’s occupants. Routine maintenance of emergency lighting equipment is required by NFPA Standard No. 101, chapter 31, section 1.3.7.
“A functional test shall be conducted on every required emergency lighting system at 30-day intervals for a minimum of 30 seconds. An annual test shall be conducted for a 1 1/2 hour duration. Equipment shall be fully operational for the duration of the test. Written records of visual inspections and tests shall be kept by the owner for inspection by the authority having jurisdiction.”
Reliable Fire’s technicians perform testing and maintenance on emergency lights and provide you with the written records required by law. A full discharge of each unit must be performed annually. Trust us to take the worry out of compliance. We will schedule and perform the testing for you. Here is what to expect for a test which takes approximately 90 minutes to complete:
Testing Procedures for Emergency Lights
• Disconnect AC power supply to each emergency light
• Check battery and lens for sulfation (a film that builds up)
• Clean each emergency light and lens as required
• Adjust beam for proper alignment
• Place Testing Label on the emergency light and Record in Testing Log
• Troubleshoot/repair may also include:
Our combination of services for emergency lights and fire extinguishers provides you with the most cost-effective path to life safety and code compliance.
At Reliable Fire Equipment Company, we feature:
• Factory trained emergency lighting technicians
• All work completed to NFPA standards
• Complete inventory of hard-to-find parts and batteries
• 24-hour emergency service
• Written inspection records
• Repair or installation of new equipment as required
• Removal and safe disposal of old batteries
• Maintenance on all your other life safety equipment